Monday, January 14, 2008

A post for Kristy

It's been an emotional week after hearing about Kristy. I never want to see a friend's life end early in such a horrific way, or break the news to so many others.
I became friends with Kristy at the Benjamin Franklin Academy (BFA) in 1993. She was 15, I was 16. Many of my lifes most cared for friends were in our group. Ean Paget, Donavon & Cynthia Wagner with their whole clan, my family, Shauna Landoe, Ben from Kent, Brother Bay, so many others, and, there was Kristy. Kristy gave our group the feeling anything was within our grasp, possibilities were limitless, and we were the center of the world. It was in this group my testimony became sure, and a mission was my certain future. From September 1993 through to February 1994 we were all very close, getting together in and out of school for many activities.
I will never forget the time a few of us met down at the Sumner stake center to practice a song we were going to sing for the BFA class. My older sister dropped me off telling me she'd be back in an hour. After a half hour the practice was over. Only Kristy and her mother Anne were left. We were laughing so hard for so long that when Anne offered me a ride home I forgot my sister was coming to get me. I accepted, and the laughter continued as we unknowingly passed my sister on the way home. You can imagine how my sister waited for me at the building, then later excoriated me for not being mindful of what we had agreed on, but as a teenager it was worth it.
There were so many stake events, and other musical performances we spoke at over the following years: My Servant Joseph with Kenneth Kope, where I got to know Kristy's brother Toni; Youth and YSA dances and firesides. Kristy used to joke about "making rounds" to all the boys since she knew and spoke with all of us guys. That must have been pretty serious business to her since by the time I got to our stake young single adult ward she had already been attending for two years (Ha,ha.).
Since I knew Kristy, I asked her Dad to be my merit badge counsellor for one of the required merit badges. He was very helpful, an act I have not forgotten as a man who now spends time scouting with so many boys.

Since learning the details of last week, I tried to make it up from where I now live in Arizona to attend the Kristy's funeral. However, my three boys and wife all got sick the Wednesday before. Oh how I wanted to be there with friends and family. To mourn with those I care most to mourn with in a time like this.
Now I pray for Kristy's family. Especially her parents, and children.
I try to grasp at what Kristy must be feeling to have been taken from her two young boys so soon.
The day of her funeral I had this song in my head while wishing I could be there.
It's called Yearnings . I have no idea who wrote it.

Yearnings

Oh for the day to walk again, slow, through the forest deep.
Oh for the time to talk again, before I go to sleep.
Oh for the warmth of Summer sun, the chill of Winters breeze.
And, oh for the chance to sing my song once more before I leave.

Oh for the scent of Autumn air. Crisp, and clean, and cold.
O for the chance to travel, where the seas are blue and gold.
Oh for the friend. Oh for the kiss I never kissed.
And, oh for the chance to sing my song once more, while yet I'm missed.

Cry of bird, and bale of wind.
Word unspoken. Sin unsinned.
A night to dance. A hill to climb.
A chance to sing while there is time.

Oh for the taste of meat and (ginger)ale to linger on my tongue.
Oh for the sight of hill and dale, and faces that are young.
Oh for the hand of one I love. A time to bloom and grow.
And oh for the chance to sing my song once more, before I go.


Take what you will from that song. My best wishes to everyone. We will see Kristy again.

Benjamin Randolph, Buckeye, AZ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben, your post was beautiful! Thanks for the memories. Love your friend,Cynthia Wagner Perry yappycynthia@hotmail.com