Friday, January 11, 2008

The Fiesty Irish Girl Left a Legacy

In 4th grade, I stole a book out of Kristy's desk at school. When I got caught, I was terrified she would rip me apart verbally and destroy me. She had a very feisty personality and was known to let her tongue loose on anyone, including adults. Part of my punishment for stealing the book was to apologize to her in person, and I wanted to disappear for fear that I had made a very strong mortal enemy. When we got to the Palizzi home, Kristy forgave me quickly and easily. She laughed at me and thought I was silly for being so upset. I was very relieved when she immediately invited me to come in and play with her.
In 5th grade, she testified to our class at Milton Elementary that our history book was wrong and that Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon rather than wrote it. I remember feeling amazed that she had the courage to testify in front of the whole class, and tell them that the church is true.
In 6th grade, she desperately tried to get me to put on makeup and look more girly because she cared about my self image. She often tried to get me out of my shy little shell, and I resisted. It wasn't until we got to be about 16 or 17 years old when we finally had a conversation that didn't terrify me. We talked together about our boyfriends and trying to "be good" despite our raging hormones. I was so thrilled we actually had something in common that we could talk about. I was happy to know we could be friends despite our differences in opinion and personality.
As I think back on these memories, and many more, I realize that Kristy lived a perfect life, even when she let her Irish personality take over and said the most embarrassing and shocking things. Even while in elementary school, she was an example of truth and right. She easily forgave others, stood up for what was right, and never apologized for believing in truth, no matter who she was confronted with. Even with her recent passing, she died as a marter, standing up for truth and right, and protecting those that she loved. Surely, she will be rewarded with eternal life for her stalwart and truth loving attitude. She was a true disciple of Jesus Christ, a protector of truth, and comforter to many throughout her life.
In tribute to her, I hope that I can be a little less intimidated by others, a little bolder in bearing my testimony, and a little less concerned with what others think about me.
Thank you Kristy for your example, your fiery spirit, and your wonderful sense of humor. Your legacy will live in our hearts until we can see you again. In the meantime, each of us will be edified as we remember the wonderful traits you possess. I have no doubt that Heaven just got a lot more chatty, loud, and happy because you are there. I am sure some of the famous people from history are blushing as you ask them intimate details about their personal lives, and many people are falling in love with your spunky and bright spirit.
I love you Uncle Bob, Ann, Al, the drummer boy, and the rest of the family. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
Love,
Emily Allan Wood

No comments: