Friday, January 11, 2008

Memories of Kristy

I first remember meeting Kristy at a big Callahan/Despain family reunion in Washington. We were probably 7 or 8 at the time. Are Grandpa's are brothers and our Grandma's are sisters. So we are not only cousins, but double cousins. A few years later, my family was down visiting the Palizzi's at their home in Washington and I got to know Kristy much better. We were around 13 at the time, and Kristy asked me if I wanted to go to school with her that day. I was from Canada and the thought of going to school with my cousin and seeing all the cute American boys was so exciting. Kristy gave me a tour of her school and introduced me to all of her friends. It was a great day. Kristy was very open and friendly and even though I had not known her for long, I felt a connection with her from that day on. We became pen pals after that and wrote letters every now and then. Several years later I went on a mission to Temple Square. Kristy came and found me to tell me that she was on her way to the MTC to serve a mission as well. I was so excited for her and new that she would be a great missionary. After our missions we both ended up in Utah. Kristy had gotten married and I had just gotten engaged. She came to my wedding, and we ended up living really close to each other. She was in Lehi and I was in Saratoga Springs. A bout a year later we both found out we were expecting baby boys within a week or so from each other. She invited me to her "Couples" baby shower. It was the first baby shower I had been to where there were guys at it, but it actually made it a lot more fun. So, I decided to have a couples baby shower as well, which Kristy came to. She didn't know anyone at the shower, but within a few minutes of meeting everyone it was as if she had known them all for years. I remember having little play dates with Kristy and we would talk about parenting ideas while our sons played together. When Brandon turned one, my son Phoenix and I were invited to his party. Kristy threw him a big party and had a lot of family and friends at it. She made it an extra special day for him. She was a great mother to him and always tried to do what was best for him. If he had a hard time sleeping at night she would stay all night in his room with him if she needed to. She was very dedicated and put others, especially her family before herself. A year or so later Kristy and I were both pregnant again with baby boys. They were born within a week of each other. I was excited for my boys to have cousins the same age as them. The last time we saw them was at a family reunion in Lehi just a few months ago. I never would have imagined it would be my last time seeing Kristy in this life. Kristy was a great example to everyone of living life to it's fullest. She was a friend to everyone, was always so fun and outgoing and you never had to wonder what she thought. I am so grateful to have known her and to be part of her family. I will miss her smiling face. I know she is helping people on the other side and sharing her talents with them.

Love Always,

Your Cousin Caraleen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was at that birthday party for Brandon too. I remember her showing me her scrapbooks. Brandon was only turning one but had 2 scrapbooks already!! She was an amazing mother!