Friday, January 18, 2008

My experience with Kristy

I have known the Palizzi family for some 16 years now, Ann played the piano at my wedding. Upon hearing of Kristy's death I was deeply saddened. Since then and since the memorial here in Washington on Wednesday I have been inspired. I am attaching an email I sent out to family and friends after the service.

What I need to share with you all though is Kristy had a wonderful example of love and service in her mother. I am currently going through a heartwrenching divorce and after the memorial when most guests had left Ann enveloped me in her arms and asked how I was doing and offered love and support to me. My heart ached for them at this time and yet she embraced me and said things I so desperately needed to hear.

Ann and Al and the rest of your family, know that you will always hold a special place in my heart, and that Kristy's life will live on in her wonderful legacy!

The email I sent:

Subject: My New Inspiration

Dear friends and family,

Today I went to a memorial service for a friend who was tragically killed by her estranged husband on January 6th (her 30th birthday) on her way into church in Lehi, Utah. Despite the tragic circumstances of her untimely death this was one of the most touching inspirational services I have ever been at. You could definitely feel the love of the Lord there and his spirit burned deep within my heart as tears flowed so freely from my eyes.

Her name was Kristy and she is my new hero, someone who, through her death, has inspired me to live a better life. These two excerpts from the service really touched me and I want to share them with you.

On the program her mother said:

A Mother's Wish:

Kristy's life was dedicated to compassion and service. Her mother's greatest wish is that in her memory we follow her lead. Find someone to serve, seek out a lonely heart, make someone smile or laugh, throw a party, give a compliment....do something to lift another.


And Gloria Jacobsen shared this poem which you may be familiar with but I did not remember it or have never had it hit me like it did today, for in her short 30 year dash she blessed so many lives.......

The Dash

I read of a man who stood to speak
at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
from the beginning… to the end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth
and spoke of the following date with tears,
but he said what mattered most of all
was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time
that she spent alive on earth…
and now only those who loved her
know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own;
the cars…. the house… the cash…
What matters is how we live and love
and how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard…
are there things you’d like to change?
For you never know how much time is left.
(You could be at “dash mid-range.”)

If we could just slow down enough
to consider what’s true and real,
and always try to understand
the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger,
and show appreciation more
and love the people in our lives
like we’ve never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect,
and more often wear a smile…
remembering that this special dash
might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy’s being read
with your life’s actions to rehash…
would you be proud of the things they say
about how you spent your dash?

- Linda M. Ellis ((c) Copyright 1999)

I hope to live my life that I can be proud of my dash! Like Kristy did.

Love,
Deone

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and best wishes are with you too Deone. Kristy's life was one full of purpose and life. What an amazing family. And Ann too, in her time of need comforting others. What a good example. Love,
Shauna (Landoe) Ploeger

Anonymous said...

Deon,
Thank you for posting this and sharring with those of us that could not be at the memorial service in person. I was there in spirit and mind...I think of you so often and wonder how you are doing. If I had your email I would send "The Dash" poem set to beautiful music and pictures...found it on line. Call Laif and get my contact info, would love to talk to you more! Lots of Love, Sherry Brunette (Adams)