Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Kristy's Memories

It has taken me this long to be able to compose myself enough to be able to write this. Kristy was one of my very best friends, and I hope that she knew how much she meant to me. We first met about 10 years ago, while working for the same company in Seattle. At first, I didn't really care too much for her; she was just too much energy for me and I misunderstood her inquisitiveness as being "nosy". Soon, she went away on her mission and I didn't really give her too much thought until about two years later when she came back to that same company looking for a job, working for me of all people. When she came in for the interview, I really had no intention of offering her the position. But something happened in the 20 minutes or so that we were talking and we touched on a subject that brought us both to tears. Needless to say, I hired her . . . Over the next nine months or so, we discovered how much we had in common; namely, a twisted sense of humor. In addition, one of the things that made our close friendship a little unconventional was the fact that I am not a member of the LDS church. Kristy would joke and say , "Oh, well . . . I guess I'll love you anyway". She willingly answered all of my questions and never once tried to "convert" me; she only said that if I ever wanted to talk about it that she would be there for me. She would laugh at my aversion to be "touchy-feely", and chase me around trying to give me a hug. After she & Dave married, and moved to Utah, we lost contact for a couple of years. I tracked her down through her mother (Thank You Ann!), to discover that she had just given birth to sweet Brandon only 9 weeks earlier. She came to Seattle that same month to visit her family and we were able to see each other. You could say that since that reunion, we became inseperable (by phone, anyway). Since my son was born three years ago, I have looked forward to each Spring when we would fly down to Utah and stay with Kristy for a week. We would have so much fun just taking the kids to the park, shopping, and most of all hanging out on her humungous sofa, watching movies, SNL DVD's and stuffing our faces with junk (Thank the Lord for Dippidydoo!). The only thing I didn't look forward to was the 5-7 pounds I would gain after staying with her . . . At her funeral in Lehi, I listened to so many people speak of how wonderful and giving she was; what a beautiful voice she had and what a true friend she was to so many people. I loved those things about her as well, but mostly I loved her ability to be painfully honest, horribly disgusting, yet graceful and dignified at the same time (if you can imagine such a thing). Kristy's friendship was a precious gift that I will always treasure, and I am so proud to be able to say that I was her friend. I Love and Miss You So Much!

-Sarah M.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of “touchy-feely”, I’ve had a memory come back to me the last couple weeks too. I am from a touchy-feely family that gives hugs freely, but not kisses. Kristy actually caught me off guard one time. Kristy has always been known for her shock factor, but I’m pretty hard to shock. She got me ONE time, unless you count her death, HUGE shock.

Anyway, I was at a Relief Society activity in her old Jordan Meadow’s ward. Kristy was not sitting at my table, so I’m not sure of what was happening at her table. Half way through the event someone went up to the microphone and asked who made the caramel brownies. I raised my hand and next thing I knew Kristy attacked me (okay I’m being a little dramatic), she ran up and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I tell you my jaw about hit the floor and it gave everyone a little something to talk about too. I’ve heard the saying, kiss the cook, but no one has actually done it (this might be another example of her twisted sense of humor). It didn’t take me long to learn she loved them. She told everyone at her table, when she found out who made them, she’d give that person a kiss. That evening made my caramel brownies w/ Skor chips famous! From that time on I was a little traumatized and would tell her or others that I would make them some brownies as long as they promised NOT to kiss me:) Chris McAdams