Thursday, February 7, 2008

On Sunday January 6, I looked into the face of evil as I witnessed the horrific death of my daughter. As a person who has always tried to deliberately shun evil in my personal life, it was such a wound to my soul. My very soul is bruised. It made me wonder if the whole world was headed to hell in a moment.

The sweet outpouring of love and concern is so healing on so many levels. During the weeks that followed, people commented that I was so strong as I was comforting others. As individuals we can look upon a situation and think that we know what we are seeing. It appeared that I was the strong one doing the comforting, when in reality I was taking from everyone that I hugged or touched. Every person was there because they had genuine love for Kristy and her family. I was drinking in expressions of love in its purest form, without guile or judgement. I literally was wrapped in the arms of righteousness as you hugged me. So many acts of kindness and service are so profoundly healing.

I am so amazed at the level of goodness and righteousness throughout the world. Whether you are of the same religious faith or not, you are by your very acts and deeds taking a stand for values that are right and true. This has gone a very long way in restoring my faith in humanity in this world. Yes, there is evil, but there is also righteousness flooding the earth.

It had appeared that Kristy was living the charmed life. She had a beautiful home and furnishings, cute clothes, etc. But in reality she was living a life of quiet desperation in her own emotional turmoil and pain. I ask you to be not quick to judge, but take the time to look a person in the eyes and listen to what their eyes tell you. Sometimes it only takes a huge or a smile to bring comfort to a person that is so very beaten down and is so desperately emotionally tired.

You are such totally awesome people. I want to adopt you all as my daughters. I would be so proud to be a mom to each of you. Of course that is not possible at this time as my life is now filled with little boys! Each of you have touched my life in a very profound way. I love you all for it. We will meet sometime and when we do, introduce yourself and give me a hug. My prayer for each of you is that God will allow you to have a glimpse of who you really are. And that you will come to a strong understanding of the great strength that is inherent within you. What a mighty force for good you are and will continue to be in your communities. YOU GO GIRL!!

Love,
Mom.

13 comments:

Erin said...

Thanks Anne, LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! May God comfort you and your family in the days ahead. You are all in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear from you Ann. Kristy's life and death has affected me in so many positive ways. I believe we can find some good out of this tragedy. I think about you, Kristy, and the boys ALL THE TIME. I pray for you and the boys ALL THE TIME. I want to be a better person, mother, sister, and friend to those around me. My desire to serve others now is greater than before Jan 6th. I wish I could take your pain away, but since I can't I'll do anything else I can to help!
Love,
Chris McAdams

Anonymous said...

I just want you to know that I am praying for you and your family. I come to this blog often to listen to the music and gain strength to be who I ought to be through Kristy's memory. Her death has touched so many in such a profound way, and the way you are carrying on her legacy gives us all an example of Christlike love. All my love.

Anonymous said...

Ann, Thanks for posting and sharing your thoughts with others. WE draw strentgh from you too. I feel we will all go forward from this striving to be better people to our families, friends, neighbors and strangers. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be anyway? We continue to support you during this most difficult time. All our love~

Dianne said...

This isn't the first time this blog has brought tears to my eyes. Thanks so much for sharing, my heart goes out to you Anne! Thanks for raising such an amazing daughter! You and those precious boys are in our prayers, they are lucky to have you.

Many Hugs,
Dianne

Anonymous said...

We love you Ann. You are always in my prayers.

-Shauna

Anonymous said...

I was never blessed enough to be in a position to actually give you a hug, but we prayed so hard for you and after a loss of my own, I know that NO PRAYER is left unasnwered. You are a strong woman, but take time to be weak too. You will know what I mean here shortly, if you do not all ready! Much Love!

Jennifer said...

Anne,

(I was hoping to have an opportunity to address you directly...)

I was searching for articles on Pres. Hinckley when I came across Kristy's story on the KSL website. I clicked on her picture and thought she looks like she would be my friend. The article sent me to this website. For days I have poured over the postings.

I have laughed and cried and realized how much Kristy and I had in common - both of us are only girls (I had five brothers). I have two sons Cade & Brandon. I am best friends with my mom. I grew up in Utah and now live in Sammamish, WA. And I almost married someone like David. (I asked for a restraining order a while after I broke up with him when I realized he was stalking me).

I have several people I will look up when I cross to the other side. Kristy is at the top of the list.

You and your family are such examples of peace, love, grace and forgiveness after something so insurmountable. Please allow all of our love and prayers to continue to buoy you up. I know how taxing two little guys can be -but I also know how healing it is to do what your daughter would want.

Thank you for your generous and loving spirit, for sharing Kristy with us. I, too, am committed in her memory to be a better mother, friend and daughter. May you feel all our Heavenly Father's love and the Saviour's atonement work daily in your life! Remember He suffered all things (Alma 7:11) so he might know how to succor us in our grief and pains and sicknesses. Big hugs and kisses for you and your family and espcially those sweet boys.

Much love,

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Ann, Thank you for that beautiful post. I have been following the amazing words on these pages since the blog began and often I have wanted to post how impressed I am with you and your extraordinary family. I was in Kristy's ward for a couple years and she was someone I always hoped I would see at church or in the isles of the supermarket, just because I knew my day would be brighter if she graced my presence. I attended the fireside and Kristy's services with crocodile tears in my eyes and a heavy but very grateful heart. I was lucky to know your sweet daughter, if only for a short time. There are countless prayers for you and all those who need comfort at this time. We "are willing to mourn with those that mourn...comfort those who stand in need of comfort..." Our prayers are with you. Thank you for sharing your strength.

Anonymous said...

We love you and your beautiful family very much. We are so grateful to have known and loved Kristy! We continue to pray for your dear family. Love eternally, Cynthia Wagner Perry

emily, etc, etc said...

Ann - you are best. I love you!

Shauna said...

Thanks for your heart felt emotions. I am sorry you all had to go through this. May god bless you all & continue to bring you comfort & healing.
Shauna Willams