Thursday, February 14, 2008

How Long?

How long does it take for a wounded heart to heal?
How long before I allow myself to feel?
It's easier to stay busy, with all the tasks at hand,
than to acknowledge the truth where your soul now stands.
I know i'll be with you again, and that this isn't the end.
I feel guilty for missing you so much, after all I was just your friend.
Your family, your children, they need you so much more than I
But still I can't help the tears my soul still wants to cry.
I know that to honor you, I must serve with all my heart
I'll try to remember that and try to do my part.
All you did for others, you couldn't know meant so much more,
a special soul sent to us where your love could pour.
So many have treasures, of days you came and went
a memory greater than gold, where a moment of your life was spent.
I wish I would have stopped by more, picked up the phone to chat.
But no regrets, we got our chances where in my backyard we sat.
I'll always try to honor your life by doing what you did best,
Loving unconditionally and showing it without regrets.

I'm thinking of you today, on this day we celebrate Love. I love you and miss you.
Erin

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful! Thank you for putting my thoughts into words too.

I can't get over her, it hit me this morning as I shed more tears. I too was just a friend and not the best one either. I was more of a church friend, talking to her when I saw her, yet not going out of my way during my normal busy day. I too wish I had known her life was going to be short, so I could have been a better friend while she was here. Lesson learned! It bothers me that others seem to have forgotten her and moved on so easily. Maybe I'm the one who needs to move on?

Anonymous said...

Some days I can't think about her or else I will sink deep into a huge sadness. And as a mother, it's not the best thing to do on a daily basis. But some days, I let her memory wash over me. This must be the way of things. We must never forget Kristy, and her beauty, but we must let the tragedy of it all stop weighing us down and start helping us live better. It's so hard. Haven't found my answer to all of this yet.

Anonymous said...

Erin,

That was a fantastic poem. Is this the Erin I know? Thanks for putting all of our thoughts into beautiful words. I think about this sad situation on a daily basis still. Sometimes, it is much easier than others. The whole thing is awful.