Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I have been thinking of Kristy so much lately. I can't believe she's been gone a year now. Maybe I'm being silly, but I feel like this past year has just flown by! I think Kristy is so proud of her family and friends for keeping her memory so alive, though. I know she would be so touched by how we all remember her so often...and laugh, out loud, at so many funny things she would say or do. I feel so honored to have known her.

I loved having Ann and her boys here.....even though I know how was selfish it was of me to want them to stay. I wish I would have gone to see her more often while she was here. Ann was such a source of strength for so many of us, even though it should have been the other way around. I loved getting to know her better....and I truly loved her strong-willed, fun personality. I loved the advice she would give me, and I'll never forget the times we spent talking about Kristy. I loved seeing Kristy's boys smile....and I loved the feeling I'd get in my heart that they were truly going to be OK.

It has been said many times, but I am still amazed at the dedication and love Kristy's family has shown through all this. I can't believe it's already been a year since I heard the horrible news of her death. I can still feel that shock and sadness when I remember that day, one year ago. I will never forget her funeral and feeling the overwhelming message of "forgiveness"... and being in utter amazement of that.

I have some of Kristy's things in my house right now, and there isn't a day when I see those things... that I don't think of Kristy, and how she should be enjoying them right now. I know she's busy and continuing her great missionary work...but I can still hear her voice sometimes. Maybe I'm crazy....Maybe I'm not..... But I can honestly hear her telling me sometimes to just "enjoy my kids"..... I can hear the overwhelming message to just "slow down" and "enjoy them" ....so many times. I know she'd love how they crawl up onto the table that was hers and sing a song for me. I know she'd love how they'll grab their books and want to color up there. I know she'd love how they're just having fun being KIDS. I have learned so much in the past year. I feel like I've strengthened friendships and gained some new friends because of Kristy. I feel so grateful for the blessings I have in my life....and still so sad to have lost a friend so soon. I am so grateful for the knowledge we have that we will be able to see her again. I am so grateful to Ann for spending so much time with us and letting us continue to feel so close to Kristy through her and the boys.

Happy Birthday, Kristy! I miss you, and I'll be thinking of you today.....

Love, Carrie

No comments: