Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Beautiful Headstone

Last week while walking in the morning with a friend, we found ourselves walking past the Lehi cemetery. I had not yet had the opportunity to see Kristy's headstone, so we wandered over to see if it had been put in place yet. It was such a beautiful and peaceful time of morning-- quiet. Some time between 6:30 and 7:00 am. The sun was shining and all I could hear was the sound of a distant sprinkler somewhere on the grounds. At first, we mistook Kristy's burial spot for another unidentified person (there was a washed out plastic tag marking the spot). In that moment it was upsetting to me that such a beautiful mother and friend was only marked with cheap plastic with no name to pay our respects (I do feel sad for who's spot it really was). And then we spotted it. It was beautiful. It was overwhelming to me just to read her name, realizing this is where her body lay to rest. This is where the cares of this world are left for my dear friend. Engraved on the back of the headstone was a beautiful poem that I believe Kristy wrote. I was overcome with emotion as the feelings of her loss resurfaced. But as I read her poem, a peace came over me and reminded me that this life truly is but a moment and that we have all of eternity to be with the people we love. It reminds me to appreciate my time here and not take any moment for granted.

I miss our talks and your beautiful voice. I miss laughing at your boldness- because I am so not bold and it never ceased to shock me! I miss how passionate you were about music and using it to touch people and invite the spirit. When we sang together, you took careful time to choose a song that would really bring the spirit. You told me that you knew it was the "right song" if you cried when you started singing it. I only wish I had that kind of tenderness towards the spirit and what music can do to invite it. You are a bundle of spunk and I miss it! I take comfort in knowing that yes, my time with you was short, but I will have all of eternity to sing and laugh with you again. I love you and miss you Kristy.

Beautiful job on the headstone Samantha!

Lots of love,
Haley

3 comments:

Honor said...

someone should take a picture of it and post it on here for all of us who won't be able to visit it for a while.

The Gibby's said...

Good idea. I will take a picture on Monday and post it(we aren't walking until then cause of the holiday weekend).

Anonymous said...

definately would love to see a picture!