Sunday, July 13, 2008

Totally Kristy

I first met Kristy when I flew out for my brother’s wedding to Kristy’s good friend Holly Harris (Burbank). Kristy was helping with wedding preparations, and I must say I was a little bit taken aback by her unreserved moxy. That anyone could be that direct, somehow without causing any offense, is a gift. I quickly summed up that, to Kristy, everyone is a friend.

The day of my brother’s wedding, a fiasco happened! On the way to the reception, the wedding cake was destroyed by a pot hole in the road. It was reduced to large chunks, completely irreparable. I knew my brother would get over it quickly, but I was really sorry for Holly, because we all know brides want things perfect on their big day. What to do? Never fear, Kristy was there. She just happened to have a bag or two of cheap plastic army toys in her car (why she was carrying those around is anyone’s guess, but let’s chalk it up to inspiration). And, since my brother was commissioned in the Army, and he and Holly were leaving for his first assignment after their wedding, Kristy saved the cake situation by putting the little army guys all over the broken cake. The cake was brought out on several plates. It looked like a cake battle. It was hilarious, and totally salvaged the situation. Everyone at the reception thought it was so awesome and clever. It wasn’t the prettiest cake, by a long shot, but it was by far the most personal and creative. So thoughtful of Kristy—turning lemons to lemonade.

What a powerful spirit she is, that even after her passing, she continues to wield such an influence over those of us who are left to ponder on her shining example, and resolve to be more like her. I look forward to getting to know her better down the road. . . .

Very Sincerely,

Amy Burbank Day

5 comments:

Kristy's Family and Friends: said...

Amy, thanks for sharing this funny story! Makes me miss her!
Love,
Sarah Smylie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that story. How is it that we can laugh and cry at the same time? I agree with Sarah, it makes me miss her. Chris

Anonymous said...

That was funny! Clever Kristy.

Jenn said...

Amy, do you have a brother named Rhett? And your parents names Dean & Nancy? We used to know some Burbanks when we lived in... um... I think it was South Carolina, but I can't remember for sure. Anyway, I'm interested to know if this is the same Amy! My sister, (Amy also) was really good friends with Kristy, so I read this blog once in a while & noticed your last name... or maiden name? Cool if you are!

Daughter of Eve said...

Hi Jenn~

Yep, I am the Amy Burbank you are thinking of. How cool to find someone who knew me "way back when. . . ." :) Please let me know how I can get in touch with you. LOVE your preparedness home page/blog. Take care~

Sincerely, Amy